Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Leslie Wilson

    Cindy Sherman and Mickalene Thomas inspired my self portrait called “Me: Leslie”. The artists played a crucial role in my “selfie” because they inspired me to combine physical, and metaphorical aspects to the portrait. 

   After watching the Cindy Sherman documentary, and reading her articles, I realized how most of her pictures have their own feel, color, and lighting; which impacts how individuals see her work. Sherman changes her persona on camera, and becomes the image itself. Therefore, in my image, I decided to change the saturation, exposure, and size of the backgrounds. In attempts to mirror her actions, I also tried to give the self portrait a certain feeling that will reflect me as a person. Two of my favorite Sherman’s images are hidden in the background of the image, because I wanted to use her photography as paintings on the wall.

   Mickalene Thomas’s use of patterns, textures, rhinestone, and collages spoke to me the first time I saw her paintings. There are different designs that don’t work well together, but when Thomas mixes bold colors with animal print patterns; I was amazed. Thus, the overall physical aspect of my image is dedicated to Thomas's colors, patterns, and, of course, rhinestones. Another important factor inspired by Thomas’s artwork is her use of collaging to put images together. Therefore, I decided to base my whole portrait on Thomas’s collages. 

   Both artists were inspired to do art by one issue; the under representation of women in the art field. If women weren’t painted as perfect role models in sixtes, or if Black women were equally expressed as White women were in paintings perhaps the art by Sherman and Thomas would have changed. The work ethic, and passion both women carry into their hearts and artwork is seen. 

Links of External Resources:

https://www.interiordesign.net/articles/13944-mickalene-thomas-debuts-interiors-edition-at-fine-art-print-fair-in-new-york/

http://www.artnet.com/artists/cindy-sherman/2

No comments:

Post a Comment