Sunday, September 9, 2018

Xavier Small

I have decided to represent myself sitting on my bed next to my decorations along with my red hood helmet. In this selfie figure I have chosen to take this because I was inspired by the lovely artist Mickalene Thomas, which is known well for her paintings and her artistic history. I really love her work and how she shows her revolutionary and her creativity.
My favorite artwork by her was “Afro Goddess Looking Forward, (2017) In her Photography it had showed her, amazing paintings, in the majority of her artwork,  she demonstrated and described it as recognition and acknowledgement.
Then I went into the depths and see more into her creativity and her history as well. I have watched her videos and I like how she had spoke about her painting of Mnonja and how it represents and spoke about unity and power and living as an African-American woman and I love how she embraces her art and the beauty of black culture and making history     “By selecting women of color,  I am quite literally raising their visibility and inserting their presence into conversation” (Thomas, 2016) The picture reminds me of me a lot with the creativity and embracing life with photography. I love Cindy Sherman’s film Nobody’s here but me (1994) The film reminded me how majority of the times of how i like to do things on my own, getting experiences with other things and getting to see the world.
To end my story,  I think about the quote Looking Forward, and Sherman’s art and films I dream of a good future, I can be living life peacefully within the body and creativity of thyself. After I took my selfie i look very focused on  my life and with no worries, staying true to yourself and keep moving forward. I am truly inspired by the talents of their work.

1 comment: