Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Post 1 - Rebecca Tobias

My self portrait is a concoction of Mickalene Thomas’ and Cindy Sherman’s ideas. Aesthetically, I aimed to match Thomas’ portraits through my choice of makeup, outfit, and accessories. “La lecon d’amour” and some of her other works included muses with blue eyeshadow paired with red lipstick. In addition,  A majority of Thomas’ muses wore outfits that could be categorized as “disco-era fashion” thus I chose a floral jumpsuit paired with red heels and jewelries. Also, flowers were prevalent in her portraits therefore I designed the fern with a few roses.
Cindy Sherman promotes the exploration of one’s identity through a variety of mediums by self-morphing into multiple characters in each of her photographs. She meticulously planned the environment of her portrait which influenced me to do the same. The bookcase next to me represents knowledge and as the shadows appear to gradually consume the white wall, implying  how acquiring knowledge gives you more awareness, however, it unfolds the cruel truth of reality. As the shadow nearly reaches the mirror, it signifies how regardless of  the intimidation  the world may bring, how you view yourself should remain untouchable.
Photographers are capable of allowing and excluding what the viewers can perceive in their photographs. It is powerful how a single photo can be dissected into what the photographer is striving to convey. Thus,  I felt strongly urged to capture even the tiniest, yet pivotal details in my self portrait. http://www.askyfilledwithshootingstars.com/wordpress/?p=1230

No comments:

Post a Comment