Saturday, October 6, 2018

I Must Avoid the Eyes
I have decided to post a picture of all kind of eyes looking up and down at me, while I try to avoid them.
As a woman, I feel not only intimidated, but also like I have to look down when mostly men look at me. Most people that look at me are men. Men are allowed to look and even stare at women. It is well known and common for a male to look at a female because it has become something that usually every man does despite their race or culture. For the most part, women are looked down on if they look at a man. Looking at a man that you're not related to or dating throws men off because they either think you're "easy" or challenging them. Men feel like they have power and are entitled to look. Men like to look but do not enjoy being looked at back. Women might want to look but it is against the norms to do so. There is hesitation at looking at a man being a woman and it has to be sneaky if a woman choses to look at a man when he takes his eyes off her. If the woman glances at a man while he is still looking, she usually turns her head and is embarrassed. It is almost instinct. A man on the other hand is happy that the woman has looked at him but also disappointed because men feel women shouldn't have the right to look.
Society has progressed a little with women gaining rights to look at men, but it has not come far. I feel like society still is not comfortable with woman directly looking at men because it is usually only accepted when they do online or on television.
My midterm project will include a picture of all women from every race and culture and eyes on that woman. The eyes represent all males in the world and their gaze on women. This selfie above has all eyes on me specifically, but I share the male gaze with all other women so my midterm project will show that it affects women of all color.

No comments:

Post a Comment