Monday, October 8, 2018

Midterm Project "M I N D"



CR E AT I VE MI N D SE T

Glitter Collaged-Sculpture Inspired by Annegret Soltau's Dark; Beautiful Images
         My artwork is a three-dimensional object made into a self-portrait collage. It represents my own idea of a thought-process. Annegret Soltau, German artist, had influenced the assemblage that were used to create the design. She captures photographs of herself which contains different body parts that are stitched together with black thread. These disturbing images exhibit her personal issues. This led to the subject of my 3-D image which is the center of attention, the foam head. It's something that you can touch, see, and acknowledge that it is real.
         The content is a concrete visual presentation of what occurs in an imaginative mind. I decided to use a foam head to resemble an actual human head. The incision was made on the left side of the 'brain' to show more logic, and thinking unlike the right side of the 'brain' that connects with arts, and imagination. This self portraiture is not focused on the artistic aspects of a thought-process, but mental struggle. The picture placed inside the head with a black background shows an example of a dark place that is filled with confusing thoughts. The outside of the head contains glitter, gems, and colorful wires to distract you from what is happening inside. Lastly, the images of these women around the neck area relate to the foam. Each of them have glitter on their face to conceal their appearance. This is the case because these women have more than just looks, but a beautiful and complicated mind.
         The viewers may or may not understand what this artwork represents, except myself. It conveys an eye-catching image with lots of things going on. People may interpret it as a creative imagination, positive vibes, or typical artwork. Besides, everyone has a different thought-process. If someone thinks a certain way about the image in a personal way then it is exactly that. This approach was influenced, as mentioned, by Soltau. She uses thread to attach separate pictures into a whole and  deformed photo to express the connection between her art and society. I used the wire to seal the mouth to prevent any words from being told to anyone because some people may not understand my logic. 
        Ultimately, this project represents the day to day challenges that I personally experience. I overthink, I say things that do not necessarily make sense, and try to fit in with everyone. The outside of the head shows a different individual, someone who seems like they have their life figured out. However, I am still trying to figure out what my next move is, which is pretty scary.

Reference:





No comments:

Post a Comment