Friday, October 5, 2018

Midterm - Deanna Glogowski



     My midterm project is about me and my dreams of becoming an author. That is why I am sitting at a desk with a book in my hands and a pen on the desk. I am supposed to be thinking of new ideas for a story. Why are there magical creatures around me, though? Those symbolize my ideas coming to life as I imagine them and write them down for everyone to read. I chose paper to cut an paste my project because it is like a book itself. My project is, basically, a pop-up book. A book is made of paper and has ideas plastered on the paper. My project is made only of paper and all the pieces are plastered together into one coherent story. I'm a writer, writing a book. I used these particular magical creatures because they are actual characters in a book I am currently writing. The first image hides them, but then you flip their compartments and they are revealed to symbolize my bringing them to life with my stories and how my ideas often feel more real to me than real life when I get into it. Also, another woman's body is used to represent the future me because it is, technically, a different person from me. I am not that woman yet, but I will be. So, she has my face because she will become me, but a different body because she is not the same as the me right now. The midterm conveys that I am imaginative and plan to use it. It is a simple message. I want to write stories and my ideas are so big and wild they pop off the page. It also reveals that my favorite genre is fantasy and fairy tales. My ideas are always next to me and I'm always finding new ways to make their worlds. In class, at home, in the park, even in the middle of a conversation, I'm making these worlds and find ways to make them work. I took some inspiration from Mickalene Thomas in the picture. I used a different person's body for the picture of me, like Mickalene Thomas does. This other woman is not me, but represents me in my art. Also, I took a page out of Leonora Carrington's book. She also grew up on fairy tales and that surrealism shows up in her art often, like mine with the magical creatures. I used simple cutting and pasting techniques to make my art in order to symbolize the cutting and pasting of my different ideas into a coherent story. The project, as a whole represents me because it shows the world what I see my future being. Quite often, I will imagine the future when I am a huge author and write all my stories and get to spend everyday doing that forever. I have spent 14 hours writing my books before and it was those days that made me realize I could do it forever. Writing my books has become an essential part of who I am and one I am very proud of. My midterm shows that by showing me writing a book and thinking of ideas for it. That is who I am and that is who I will always be. Even before I decided to become an author, I've written stories. It's one of my greatest passions in this world. It is one of the biggest parts of who I am, my writing. So, my midterm shows that with me writing a book, surrounding by ideas that I will breathe to life. The project says I am an author and that is a perfect representation of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment