Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Leslie 5

Leslie on Concrete
“Leslie” spelt out using flower stems.
   Art can be created by any one, but unique art, I believe, can evoke feeling, or emotions from the audience just by looking at it. Ana Mendieta was one artist whose frightening, intense, yet realistic photos, which involved a lot of twisted, and abstract features, influenced my perspective on art. From her bloody “Self Portrait with Blood” to her shocking “Sileutas” series, Mendieta has provided viewers with a more abstract, raw take on universal energy between earth, and herself. Her mysterious images usually involve natural resources with a complex meaning behind the pieces.  I wanted to use this particular aspect of her art, so I decided to use raw stems, dirt, and other outside materials in my picture. Then, to establish my connection with the earth I spelt out my name. Similar to how Mendieta places her camera in a dramatic view when taking pictures, I took mine in a straightforward, upward angle. The sun rays illuminated the image in the center; a peaceful look to the picture. Mendieta’s groundbreaking, spiritual pieces is merely a part of insight to her individual ideals, and persona as an artist. To Mendieta her art is, “... the way I re-establish the bonds that unite me to the universe. It is a return to the maternal source”

I underlined the adjectives I used to describe Mendieta’s work.

Link: https://www.theartstory.org/artist-mendieta-ana.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment